Bible Blog

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Luke 1:26-38

Get the reading here.
As with many gospel passages, particularly Christmas and Easter ones, this passage just seems too familiar sometimes. I read it and just thought "Cool." So I plugged away for a while to come up with something more expansive than just "cool" (though in some respects maybe that would be the most useful thing to write?!) and have a few little thoughts for you.
Luke maintains his detailed account (sorry I'm harping on about this a bit - I hadn't properly considered the differences between the gospels before and am now struck by the littlest things!) by giving us contexts of time, place, people.
We get our second angelic visitation here. And again, we get the "classic" angelic statement - do not be afraid! Verse 30 is interesting - Mary is not to be afraid: she has found favour with God. We aren't told how or in what way, just simply that God favours her. And because God favours her there is no need for fear. Interesting thought?
Gabriel then gives a sweeping account of the rest of the history of time! First starting off with a few details "you are to give him the name Jesus" and finishing up with "his kingdom will never end". We have no idea how much of this Mary really took in or grasped. The bit she is recorded as having questioned is the practicalities - "I'm a virgin!" Does that mean she just accepted the rest of Gabriel's statement without confusion, concern or doubt? Not necessarily - but what she did do was accept the role that God gave her (vs38) and got on with it. Perhaps she was aware of what she needed to know and understand there and then (you're going to have a baby) and what she could learn to understand in the future (and he'll reign on David's throne forever). Do we struggle to understand too much of God's plan NOW rather than waiting for Him to reveal things to us when the time is right?
I'm reading a historical novel at the moment set in courts of various kings and queens of Europe around 1500. Mary's attitude really strikes me of that kind of attitude and responsiveness to the king. The submission and readiness to serve. Perhaps another way for me to come to understand God's kingship? How much time do I spend saying "Ok, God, I'm your servant, my will is your will"? And how much "Ok, God, I'd like to be your servant but wouldn't it be rather nice if my plans worked too"?
And one final thought...shall we all get verse 37 tattoed to the inside of our eyelids? I seem to be rather good at forgetting it: For nothing is impossible with God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home